1. Taliban provides safe haven for al Qaeda.
2. Al Qaeda launches 9/11 attacks.
3. U.S. deposes Taliban and seeks to install a more democratic government.
4. U.S. deposes Saddam in Iraq and attempts to install a more democratic government.
4. Conflict in Afghanistan drags on.
5. Democrats, including Sen. Obama, complain Bush took his eye off the “war of necessity” to become embroiled in a “war of choice.”
6. Bush changes strategy in Iraq, launches “surge,” and stabilizes country, setting stage for eventual troop withdrawal.
7. Candidate Obama promises a more aggressive posture in Afghanistan.
8. President Obama names a new general for Afghanistan, promising a more aggressive prosecution of the war.
9. Obama’s general requests more troops, saying they are essential for victory.
10. Obama thinks about it.
11. More U.S. troops, awaiting a word from their commmander in chief, die.
12. Obama, preoccupied with health care debate, continues to think about it.
About Stan Guthrie
Stan Guthrie is an editor at large for Christianity Today magazine and for the Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview. His latest book is God's Story in 66 Verses. He also is author of All that Jesus Asks: How His Questions Can Teach and Transform Us, Missions in the Third Millennium: 21 Key Trends for the 21st Century, and A Concise Guide to Bible Prophecy. He is co-author of The Sacrament of Evangelism. Besides authoring, writing, and editing books, Stan is a literary agent, bringing together good authors, good books, and good publishers.
Stan writes the monthly Priorities colum for BreakPoint.org. He has appeared on National Public Radio's Tell Me More, WGN's Milt Rosenberg program, and many Christian shows, including The Eric Metaxas Show and Moody Radio's New Day Florida. A licensed minister and an inspirational speaker, he served as moderator for the Christian Book Expo panel discussion, Does the God of Christianity Exist, and What Difference Does It Make?