1. The election of Donald Trump and his evangelical support
2. Terrorist attacks in Brussels, Berlin, Orlando, New York City, Istanbul, Pakistan, and Egypt
5. The death of Antonin Scalia / Merrick Garland nomination
6. Protests over police shootings of black men / Attacks on police across U.S.
7. Democrat scandals: Clinton email investigation / Wikileaks DNC
8. Zika virus
9. Bathroom laws and gender issues
10. European migrant crisis
11. Hurricane Matthew
12. The Flint water crisis
13. The death of Fidel Castro
15. Dakota Access Pipeline protests
Honorable mention: The Chicago Cubs win the World Series for the first time in 108 years.