Summary: Accomplished communications authority with significant achievements in journalism (magazine, newspaper, online, PR), authoring, writing, editing, researching, interviewing, reporting, book publishing, and ministry. Respected persuader and teacher through printed and spoken word. Leader who motivates others to complete projects and maximize contributions. Disciplined, adaptable, detail-oriented, results-oriented.
Writing • Book and Periodical Editing • Persuasive Speaking • Effective Messaging • Book Publishing • Public Relations • Teaching • Researching • Communications Training • Managing People • Leading Projects • Preaching
Founder and Director
Stan Guthrie Communications
July 2009 – Present Wheaton, Illinois
• In September 2011, Chuck Colson’s BreakPoint (1,390 outlets, potential 8 million listeners) faced severe revenue shortfall and cut writing staff. Wrote scripts on monthly retainer.
• In August 2009, Books & Culture (paid circulation 8,000) Editor John Wilson needed a weekly podcast for posting on journal website. Hired as host. Addressed challenge using journalism experience, studio hardware, communication software.
• In April 2011, Indiana Wesleyan University sought a Visiting Author to train and mentor faculty and staff. Created handbook and PowerPoint, mentored 10 individuals and lectured in classroom of 24. Provost Jerry Pattengale said, “My colleagues were enriched by his workshops.”
• In September 2009, Wheaton College Professor Jerry Root sought editorial and agent expertise to publish The Sacrament of Evangelism book. Provided editorial (writing, editing) and marketing (literary agent) assistance to produce manuscript (July 2010).
• In February 2013, Thomas Nelson Publishers requested 50,000-word book on key Bible verses. Researched, wrote, edited, solicited endorsements. Delivered manuscript one early.
• In March 2010, Dinesh D’Souza needed counsel on Barack Obama book. Provided timely counsel, editing. The Roots of Obama’s Rage (No. 12 on New York Times list, 173,000 copies sold).
• In October 2012, Pastor Kurt Wiggins of Pathway Community Church in Elmhurst, IL traveled for three weeks and needed pulpit supply. Delivered three sermons to total audience of 735.
• In April 2013, NavPress required ghostwriter to produce 60,000-word manuscript on Heaven in eight weeks. Conceptualized and persuaded on content, researched literature, analyzed author material, wrote, edited, responded to feedback. Compelling book completed two weeks early.
Editor at Large
Christianity Today International
November 2000 – Present (13 years) Carol Stream, IL
Paid circulation 140,000. Associate News Editor (2000-2005); Senior Associate News Editor (2005); Senior Associate Editor (2005-2007); columnist (2006-2008); Managing Editor for Projects (2007-2009); Editor at Large (2009-present).
• In June 2006, annual CT book program was ailing. Only 37 publishers participated, nominating a mere 240 books. Market development: Moved publication date up five months, strengthened publisher relationships. In January 2009, nearly doubled number of publishers (67), book entries (436). Led to 81-percent revenue increase.
• In September 2008, CT and Evangelical Christian Publishers association sponsored five panel discussions at March 2009 Christian Book Expo. Researched topics, invited speakers, facilitated PR, followed up with participants, and moderated sold-out session (400 estimated attendance).
• In March 2002, CT sought to explain, illustrate global movement of Muslims into Christianity. Planned, researched, interviewed, wrote, and edited massive cover articles “Double Jeopardy” profiling two missionaries (July 2002) and “Doors into Islam” (September 2002).
• In April 2007, massacre occurred on Virginia Tech campus. At end of work day and closing of magazine editorial cycle, led editorial team in emergency coverage: assigning stories, coordinating, facilitating art staff and reporters, editing copy, ensuring package on Christian response produced.
• In March 2007, CT sought national contributor. Identified, pursued, and acquired White House Spokesman Tony Snow. Resulting July 2007 article, reposted widely (including Snopes.com). A reader called it “one of the most beautiful, impacting, faith-filled testimonies I’ve ever read.”
• In August 2008, identified, pursued, and acquired Dinesh D’Souza as magazine columnist.
• 2001-2002, 2008-2009: Developed three staff members through one-on-one mentoring and training.
Licensed Minister of the Gospel
College Church in Wheaton, Ill.
October 2015 – Present
Bachelor of Science in Journalism, University of Florida (with marketing minor), 1985
Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies, Columbia International University (with Certificate in Biblical Studies), 1990
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
Books: author (5), co-author (1), writer (5), editor (8), contributor (8)
Editor at Large, Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview
Four articles honored in Evangelical Press Association competitions (1994, 1999, 2007, 2009)
Judge, Association of Christian Collegiate Media (2008, 2009); Southeast Journalism Conference (2011, 2012)
Workshop instructor, Evangelical Press Association (1996), World Journalism Institute (2004)
Weekly guest, various Moody Radio stations (2005-present)
Senior Consultant / Editor at Large, InChrist Communications (2009-present)
You can contact Stan Guthrie by e-mailing him at guthsc [at] att.net.