Stan Guthrie is an editor at large for Christianity Today magazine; he authored the “Foolish Things” column for CT. Stan writes opinion pieces for Crosswalk.com and BreakPoint.org. His articles have been honored in the Evangelical Press Association’s Higher Goals in Christian Journalism competitions.
His book, All That Jesus Asks: How His Questions Can Teach and Transform Us, was released by Baker Books. He is author of Missions in the Third Millennium: 21 Key Trends for the 21st Century, which is in its second edition. His newest book, The Sacrament of Evangelism, co-authored with Jerry Root, was released in 2011 by Moody Publishers. A Concise Guide to Bible Prophecy is scheduled for release in the summer of 2013 by Baker Books.
Stan has appeared on National Public Radio’s “Tell Me More,” WGN’s Milt Rosenberg program, ABC’s Nightline Twittercast, WFMT, and many Christian programs, including Moody Radio’s “Chris Fabry Live,” “Inside Look,” “Prime Time America,” and “New Day Florida.” An inspirational speaker, he has preached at Pathway Community Church in Elmhurst, Ill., and served as moderator for a debate with Christopher Hitchens entitled “Does the God of Christianity Exist, and What Difference Does It Make?”
Stan has worked as an editor at the Boca Raton News and as a marketing and radio writer for Coral Ridge Ministries. He is married and has three children.
- Leading: Able to plan and follow through on projects and maximize the talents of other team members. Conceptualized and coordinated five author workshops on current issues for the Christian Book Expo.
- Communicating: Gifted at researching, reporting, and persuading through the written and spoken words. Write columns, op-eds, interviews, news, feature articles, media releases.
- Educating: Excellent trainer and teacher. Taught less experienced editors how to manage news and review sections and produce timely and effective articles and downloads.
- Relationships: Effective mediator and encourager.
- Technology: Skilled in using Internet technology for journalism and communication. Launched podcast blog channel, producing 100-plus podcasts for christianitytoday.com.
Stan Guthrie Communications (2009-present)
• Full-service publishing agency providing publishing houses, authors, PR firms, periodicals, and websites with professional writing, editing, contract negotiation, and other expertise.
• Regular projects include:
o weekly Books & Culture podcasts,
o weekly interviews for Moody Radio Florida,
o monthly columns and opinion pieces for BreakPoint.org and Crosswalk.com,
o weekly radio and online commentaries for Charles Colson’s nationally syndicated BreakPoint, heard on 400 stations by 5 million people weekly,
o monthly Bible studies for ChristianBibleStudies.com.
• Literary Agent: Represent published authors including Louis Markos of Houston Baptist University, Jerry Root of Wheaton College, Jeanette Windle, and more.
• A Concise Guide to Bible Prophecy: 60 Predictions Everyone Should Know (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Books, scheduled for 2013 release).
• All That Jesus Asks: How His Questions Can Teach and Transform Us (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker Books, 2010). J.I. Packer calls it “a landmark, perhaps a classic.” Indonesian-language version, Ketika Yesus Bertanya, published in 2013.
• Missions in the Third Millennium: 21 Key Trends for the 21st Century (Carlisle, England: Paternoster Publishing, 2000, 2005). Has sold 10,000 copies in two editions. Translated into Portuguese. Standard missions text in colleges across the country.
• The Sacrament of Evangelism (Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2011).
• Girls Uncovered: New Research on What America’s Sexual Culture Does to Young Women (Chicago: Northfield Publishing, 2012).
• Experience God as Your Provider (Chicago, Ill: Moody Publishers, 2010).
• Nurturing the Nations: Reclaiming the Dignity of Women to Build Healthy Cultures (Carlisle, England: Paternoster Publishing, 2008).
• Discipling Nations: The Power of Truth to Transform Cultures (Seattle, Wash.: Youth With A Mission Publishing, 1998). Translated into a dozen languages.
• Dying to Live: The Christian’s Pathway to Experiencing God More Deeply (CreateSpace, 2011).
• The Roots of Obama’s Rage (Washington, D.C.: Regnery Publishing, 2010).
• Life After Death: The Evidence (Washington, D.C.: Regnery Publishing, 2009).
• The Hope Factor: Engaging the Church in the HIV/AIDS Crisis (Waynesboro, Georgia: Authentic Media, 2004).
• On Kingdom Business: Transforming Missions through Entrepreneurial Strategies (Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books, 2003). Named the top missions volume in the annual Christianity Today Book Awards.
• Holistic Entrepreneurs in China: A Handbook on the World Trade Organization and New Opportunities for Christians (Pasadena, Calif.: William Carey, 2002).
• Witnesses to Power: Stories of God’s Quiet Work in a Changing China (Carlisle, England: Paternoster Publishing, 2000).
• Final Analysis: A Decade of Commentary on the Church and World Missions (Wheaton, Ill.: EMIS, 1999).
• Goodbye, Billie Jean: The Meaning of Michael Jackson (Lorette C. Luzajic, 2009).
• Islam (Christianity Today Study Series; Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2008).
• The Making of a Mentor: Nine Essential Characteristics of Influential Christian Leaders (World Vision, 2005).
• Echoes from Calvary: Meditations from Franz Joseph Haydn’s The Seven Last Words of Christ (Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2004).
• Peoples on the Move: Introducing the Nomads of the World (Carlisle, England: Piquant, 2001).
• Evangelical Dictionary of World Missions (Grand Rapids.: Baker Books, 2000).
• Why Am I on This Earth? (Winnipeg, Manitoba: Fleet Publications, 2000).
- University of Florida, B.S. (Journalism), with honors (minor, Marketing).
- Columbia International University, M.A. (Intercultural Studies); Certificate in Biblical Studies.
- Completed multiple journalism assignments in Ecuador.
- Taught an interviewing workshop in Great Britain.
- Consulted for an international missions agency in the Netherlands.
- Participated in ministry with a church-based group in Poland.
- Visiting Author, Indiana Wesleyan University (2011)
- Judge for Southeast Journalism Conference competition (2011, 2012).
- Judge for Association of Christian Collegiate Media journalism competitions (2008, 2009).
- Workshop leader, Evangelical Press Association.
- Workshop leader, World Journalism Institute.
- Past member, Evangelical Missiological Society.
You can contact Stan Guthrie by e-mailing him at guthsc [at] att.net.